Bomber Online Forums
1xsculler

Crystal Mt carver wanted to follow down hill.

I go to Crystal Tuesdays and Fridays and I would like to find someone who can lay out non-skid, high angle, board bending, linked up, speed controlling carves so I can try to learn from them. It's tough just doing it all by ones self and you're never really sure where you fall on the spectrum.

Hey coming up this week thrusday to saturday and ride hardboots .  Will bring my coiler along for groomers but hoping for powder !   Renting a house with a bunch of my coworker nurse friends till saturday . Text me if you go .. 503 nine nine 7 78 six 3 

PO6781:  Your pics pretty much showed what I experienced last Tuesday. I skipped yesterday, Monday Jan. 29, and was glad I did. Today, Tuesday, was probably the best day I've ever seen at Crystal, i.e. 12" of 25* snow covering the entire area.  No grooming so no progress on carving but I had a ball on my hard boots and 162 Axxess so long as I stayed in the slightly chopped-up pow.  I ventured into the untracked 12" stuff several times but had such a hard time getting up when I fell that I went back to the partially carved up to finally burn my quads out before driving home about noon.

Even though I'm totally devoted to get my carve down on groomers I think I will at least bring my skis along for future trips in case I get more conditions like today.  Dropping into Powder Bowl, and running the gondola top to bottom, i.e.  Ice Berg Gulch and whatever is above and below it would have been heavenly for me today on skis.

Since I never really learned to snowboard, i.e. one morning on Discovery and the afternoon on Forest Queen in rented softies  then bought carving gear I have a hard time in pow.  I did go heli-boarding/skiing in the North Cascades once and used my SX91 skiboots on a 159 extremley wide board and did ok though.

Edited by 1xsculler

Keenan or PO6781,

Any chance you'll be at Crystal, or any other local area, this coming Friday or any Tuesday or Friday coming up?

Bob, 253-686-0839

Edited by 1xsculler

Bob,

Get anybody to snap a few pictures while you are riding.  You need to see how your body is aligning versus what you think you are doing.  Others here can chime in as well with suggestions after you post them up.  Simply following another may not help in that you will be watching them rather than paying attention to what you need to be doing.  

Where are you looking?   Where are your hands, hips and shoulders in relationship to the direction of the turn?  Watching the rider in front of you may cause you to look down the fall one and away from the direction of your turn.  Photos or video will help, study them and compare.  Implement corrections suggested then repeat the photo process to see your progression.

Example 

Edited by Pat Donnelly

23 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

Keenan,

Any chance you'll be at Crystal, or any other local area, this coming Friday or any Tuesday or Friday coming up?

Tuesdays and Fridays are good for me but I moved to Oregon so Crystal won't be happening this year.  Once it shuts down maybe you can come ride Timberline some time in the spring.

Bob,

If you are willing to pay for a lesson, contact Gavin at http://www.snowperformance.com/.  He used to work for C.M. and may be able to point you in the right direction.

Or, go to the C.M. ski school and ask for Greg Dixon (supervisor), tell him that you want a lesson from someone that understands carving like Keenan Hall.  He can ride or ski any equipment and might be able to help as well.