Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BlueB

Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2016/17

65 posts in this topic

Sacrifice to Ullr was made this afternoon, now we are set for a great season! 

IMG_5379.jpg

Thanks to everyone who took part in this important ceremony!

Edited by BlueB
crucible likes this

How much snow are you guys getting closer to Van with this current storm cycle? I heard rumours that they were expecting three feet at Whistler by Tuesday this week, wondering if Grouse and Seymour were expecting anything.

Whistler got 60cm over the weekend, but  like Boris said, the North Shore mountains have just received rain....

Tiny bit of white on top of Sky Chair, saw it from the highway today! 

I'm going up there tomorrow, so I'll have closer look :) 

I was at the lodge today... Temps are still mild at that elevation, about 5C or so. Peak was in the cloud, so I couldn't see if it was still white... 

I just set up my archery spotting scope in my home office last weekend- I have a 25 power telescope on it that is focussed on the North Shore. I can now scope out all 3 North Shore mountains for us.

Went up this morning with Maya- freezing level is only at the bottom of Sky chair, and it's raining hard.... snow is slushy, but carvable- just make sure you guys bring extra goggle, socks, and gloves!

Yes, there was lots of liquid pow this morning (Saturday). Got my pass printed at 8:15. Day #1!!!

Will be at the hill for Sunday too.

I had all day long session with instructors. It started puking at about 11am and never stopped. About 10cm accumulation. Should carry on through the night. Season is shaping up nicely. ::)

Weapon of the day: an ancient Prior MFR. 

Damn, all that new snow and I'm dealing with a network crash at the office :( 

Wednesday was very sweet. Powder on Sky, chowder by lodge. 

Heading up this morning again. 

All sorts of conditions today... Very hard around Lions, softer on Sky, OK around Eagle. Run of the day: Windjammer.  

It was a "woody" day for me - Freesurf Highlander and Arbor D66. I liked the Arbor better. It seems I don't like narrow boards any more...  

Hey all, I think i might have got lucky here..

last year I had a gold pass and this year I just bought a silver, so when I picked up my pass the guy just put a sticker on last years pass which as I said is gold. So do I have a gold pass now or is there different stickers for different passes?

anybody know?

image.jpg

Sunny and awesome carving snow, today! It even held well with the masses, all the way to lunchtime. Lineups became crazy from 11am... 

Toys: Kessler BXn and Nidecker Proto. 

Crew: Patrick, George and Maya, Rod?, B, our ski friend Vitali. 

On 12/4/2016 at 0:35 PM, Uberhucker said:

Hey all, I think i might have got lucky here..

last year I had a gold pass and this year I just bought a silver, so when I picked up my pass the guy just put a sticker on last years pass which as I said is gold. So do I have a gold pass now or is there different stickers for different passes?

anybody know?

I bought a gold and I have the same sticker.

Question to those who ride a dynastar 3800 with plates: how do you have yours set up? I seem to recall a discussion somewhere here but I'll be damned if I can find it.

I rode mine today with 42 front, 32 rear, bindings mounted on rear-most inserts. I felt that the stance was too wide and the angles were too steep. The thing was too slow edge-to-edge. 

How was 40cm of pow, you lucky.... I  was going to come too and set my Dyna, but worked until 6am. Didn't have any energy left :( I'll go in the am for a carvy day. 

I ride mine 45/30 and could go lower. All the way back on front foot, then find your stance width from there for narrower stances, or rear foot all the way back then find good width from there for wider stances. I hope it makes sense... 

Yes, of course it would feel slower edge to edge - it's a fat board :) Cross-under transition comes handy. 

Edited by BlueB

Awesome day at the "office"! 

Hero pack from yesterday's pow, but not too great of grooming job. Covered with man made pow on spots, as the snow guns are fully blazing. 

I rode with Rod all morning... 

Weapons: SG bx, Kessler bxn, Proto... 

It was completely unbelievable last night! Packed and grippy. No crowd. I really wasn't expecting it that good in the evening. 

Proto was my ride, but I was craving for a race board! 

Going up again this morning.

Edited by BlueB