Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SunSurfer

Turoa

3 posts in this topic

Will be based in Ohakune from Thursday 20th Aug to Sat 29th Aug, riding whichever side of Ruapehu looks best in the prevailing weather. Lookin' good for coverage at this point with over 150cm base both sides.

Just truncated a planned 2 week trip to Ruapehu. The weather is very warm for this time of year, and we have late spring conditions that would normally be seen in October at the beginning of September i.e. rain soaked slush. Of note also, Ruapehu Alpine Lifts (RAL) the skifield operator on both Turoa & Whakapapa sides have removed all the snow-making guns from the mountain, I'm told because they view it as a "waste of money". It looked odd to see a carpark full of snow guns when I visited Whakapapa on Saturday 3rd September. My suspicion is that it's been too warm for them to be used with any frequency.

I'm mulling over whether this will be the last year that I buy a Ruapehu season pass. This year they have had only about 5 weeks of reasonably cold temperatures which is too short for me to get value out of the pass.